Follow these three simple steps to check your IT setup before your training day.
If you are attending a training on Power BI or MS Project, please read and follow the extra instructions at the end.
1. Check your setup
- Laptop or desktop PC
- Reliable internet connection (try using a network cable plugged into your router to improve the connection)
- Audio headset (this more effective than laptop speakers)
- Second computer screen (see below for instructions on using second screens)
A second computer screen is most important for technical courses like Excel, PowerPoint and Power BI.
If you’ve never used two screens before, watch our short video below explaining how to set up, connect and manage two screens in a training.
If you do not have two screens, don’t worry! Just let your trainer know, they will show you how to split your screen in half so you can follow the training.
2. Test MS Teams
Click here to join a test event and check your connection.
This will open the page below, giving you three options for how to join:
We recommend you download the Teams app if you don’t already have this installed – click here to download now.
Other useful tips:
- Make sure you ‘allow’ Teams to use your microphone and webcam
- If everything is working properly you should see a preview screen of your smiling face (preview below)
- This useful walk-though from Microsoft might help you through the process
3. Download your courseware
Click on the link in your virtual classroom instructions, then make sure you select all files and click download when you open the folder.
See an example below:
If you have any questions or problems with joining the virtual classroom, please contact us.
If you are attending a training on Power BI or MS Project, please read and follow the extra instructions below:
Power BI Setup
Before your training course, make sure you:
- Download the latest version of Power BI desktop (64 bit version) – https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/
- Practise logging in using your training username – this will be sent to you 2 days before your training
- Set up your IT so there are 2 screens. This is very important because Power BI is a complex program, so you need 2 screens to see the tools properly and follow the training. You may have 2 screens already, which is great! If not, try connecting a TV screen to your computer using a HDMI cable. Alternatively, you can use both your work laptop to run Power BI and a second personal laptop to log into Teams and follow the trainer’s screen.
Watch our video explaining two-screen set up here
It is essential that your have Project installed correctly on your computer, follow these steps to check your setup:
- Go to the Windows search box on the left side of the taskbar
- Search ‘Project’
- If Project is installed on your computer, it will appear as an option
- Select the Project app (don’t worry if it doesn’t say 2016)
- This will open the Project window, and you are all good to go! Please let us know if you don’t have Project installed.